File full of null bytes / zero bytes / zero filled

Since Aseprite is available to the public, I’ve received only two three several bug reports (from Windows users) with saved files filled with null bytes (or at least that is what I remember), both reports happened in this month (one with .ase files and .png files, other one with a .ase file). I’m not sure if there is a new problem on the latest Windows version (10?) suspending the PC without syncing the file cache on disk, but I doubt it’s related to Aseprite itself (also it happened only on Windows).

Anyway if you find a similar situation, please reply to this post.

Check these links:

A fix was implemented with: aseprite changes + laf changes

1 Like

Uso windows 10, al cerrar el equipo normalmente me encuentro con un error que dice entre otras cosas “memory cannot be written”, es un error que parece bastante común pero no consigo encontrar una solución en google, además tampoco parece perjudicar a nada como otros programas o algoa así, simplemente aparece la ventanita y ya está.

Quizá este error en Aseprite este relacionado con eso.

I use windows 10, when closing the computer normally I encounter an error that says “memory can not be written”, is an error that seems quite common but I can not find a solution in google, nor does it seem to harm anything.

Maybe this bug in Aseprite is related to that.

1 Like

Is this message displayed in a dialog box? Is it related to Aseprite (e.g. does it say “Aseprite” in its title bar)? Or just a generic message from Windows?

Okay, I’ll do a capture with my cell phone and I’ll upload it when I have one.

1 Like

Ok is this, say explorer.exe in top of window

Thanks for the information @SynthED. I googled for a possible solution and found this thread, with a strange solution turning off the taskbar auto-hide feature, but it looks like a strange solution. There is this other discussion with more solutions.

It’s true, it’s the bar, I searched for the error using only “memory not written”.
Thank you!.

1 Like

I’ve just added some information for the implementation/possible fix of this issue calling the FlushFileBuffers function after saving.

A new interesting variation of this bug was reported in these days when using Dropbox Smart Sync feature:

• The .aseprite file is saved on Windows and works just fine (no null bytes)
  • Dropbox Smart Sync copies the file to a macOS computer but corrupts the file (filling the file with null bytes, not copying the actual data)
  • The .aseprite file on the macOS machine is corrupted (full of null bytes)

It’s a different kind of problem but it’s good to have this issue documented here. (For internal use, reported on ticket 1336.)