I can't get themes / skins to work

Hello, I was looking into custom themes for Aseprite and found this official list from Aseprite’s Github. However I only succeeded in installing a single theme, which was michidk’s DarkFlat

When I tried to install the other themes - following their installation instructions - and I activate the theme, Aseprite will not open. It opens a window for a brief moment, then closes. I use the Steam version with the latest update.

I hope you can help. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Biuer, actually it depends on the Aseprite version that you are using. First of all you will need to locate your user configuration directory: Edit > Preferences > General > Locate Configuration File, this should open your personal configuration folder. Right there is a data folder:

• For Aseprite v1.1.13, the theme goes inside data/skins folder.
  • For Aseprite v1.2-beta9, the theme goes in data/themes folder.
  • For the future version of Aseprite (v1.2-beta10) this will be simplified, so I’ll update this post when it’s released.

The problem here is that you might be trying to use a theme for an incompatible version of Aseprite. For example, a beta theme (v1.2) doesn’t work for the stable (v1.1.13) and viceversa.

In the specific case of michidk’s DarkFlat, it looks like a theme for v1.1.13, so you might be running Aseprite v1.1.13, in this case. If you want to try the other themes you should switch to the beta version.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I updated to the newest beta version and they work now. You are an awesome developer and you provide great support :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much @dacap! And also @Biuer for asking! :slight_smile:

I’ve got a related question: In future versions of Aseprite will we be able to change the theme without needing to restart the program?

The thing is, I love the default theme, but one of my computer screens is a bit crazy and it stops working with that default theme when I have too many layers ^^U And sometimes I like to use aseprite in both screens (one for working, the other for references), so I open 2 instances of the program, but this way it seems that I cannot change the theme and have both themes working at the same time one in each instance.

I know, I probably just should throw that crazy thing out the window and buy a normal computer screen, but I fear I don’t have the money for it XD

That will be possible :smile_cat:

https://twitter.com/davidcapello/status/897107157681917953

1 Like

You are the best David, thanks a lot! ^^

1 Like

For anyone who may still need help with this, see my post here for a detailed text breakdown on how to change themes.

1 Like