Increase/decrease brush size with modifier key and dragging

Hello there,

I would like to request a feature similar to #970.
But instead of using the mouse wheel, I’d like to have that feature on pressing a modifier key and dragging the mouse up or down.
This would immensely help users like me who use a pen tablet and therefore do not have a mouse wheel.

Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, I was working with krita software for years now and wanted to switch to something more fine tuned for pixel art. But lack of this feature is such an impediment to a seamless workflow. And I’m not talking only about changing the brush size - the same method can be used to zoom in and out. I never had to use preview window in Krita because of how well the navigation works in that software.
Another thing - to adjust brush size and opacity in Aseprite you need to click on the field for the percantage bar to pop up. You have to click and then click+drag to set the value. Could we have it so you can just click+drag? it would save a ton of extra clicks.

1 Like

ah, sorry, click and drag actually works for changing brush size

1 Like

Hi there! Yes, several parameters could be handle with a modifier key + click/drag to simulate a scroll wheel. It’s not available yet :cry: This feature was also requested before here.

We’ll see what we can do.

1 Like

Requested in the Steam forum (and several times in the past too):

I just want to add weight to this feature. A user on my stream wrote me a little java applet that fakes this feature for aseprite by converting key+(drag left / right) into the ctrl + scroll wheel.

It’s changed my workflow immensely for tablet use, so I’d love to see this become an actual feature. For something that took a couple of minutes to implement, I can’t explain how valuable it is.

4 Likes

It would be lovely if Aseprite could adopt this behavior from Photoshop, Affinity, Photopea and other apps.

In these programs, if you hold the modifier while dragging horizontally, brush size is adjusted; vertical dragging changes hardness of the brush.

Since Aseprite brushes don’t have hardness, other parameters could be chosen for the vertical axis—like angle, cycling through saved brushes even shading mode.

On Windows, Photoshop has this mapped to alt—right-click, but alt-clicking is reserved for colorpicker in Aseprite.

That’s why i would suggest the Mac shortcut instead, which is ctrl—alt—left-click.

I think everything about this should be adjustable, including the parameters for each axis, so people like myself who have it in their muscle memory from other apps can use it the same way in Aseprite.

As always, i’ve made a little mockup:

Shameless ping for visibility: @dacap

4 Likes

Hi Adam I just found this topic today, do you still have this java applet? Is there any chance you could share it? Thank you. I remember how much easier it was to use Zbrush when I found a similiar plug in called Zadjustor.

Here you go! This was written for me using “D” as the key. There’s no way to change it, but it’s been easy enough to use. I can’t use the app without it now, too valuable.

2 Likes

Thank you! I was confused at first but apparently I did not have java installed on my computer. Now it works.

https://www.java.com/en/

Thank you for posting the link to this tool! I found this thanks to your aseprite crash course youtube video. I just started using aseprite, and I have found all of your videos to be so helpful and informative :slight_smile:

how do you install it? i click on it and nothing happens :confused:

Do you have Java installed? You have to install Java to make it work!

I installed Java and I have the script open but it still won’t work ><

OH! I figured it out! I’m using XP-Pen and I’ve set the settings to “mouse mode”. I don’t know if it’ll work for u as well

The pen pressure within the program still works but it’s best if it’s turned off cause it won’t work.

Next Aseprite v1.3-beta12 will contain some options to drag values (like zoom, brush size, etc.) pressing a key, moving the mouse, and releasing the key. There will be the possibility to change two values with the same shortcut:

11 Likes

Thanks this is wonderful, works like a charm!! :partying_face:

Thank you so much Adam !
I also follow you on youtube and appreciate your content alot. Thank you for everything !