Locking / unlocking color palette in different files

If I have two (or more) files open at the same time, Aseprite lets me have a different palette loaded for each (which is awesome). It would be great if I could lock the palette for one file and unlock the palette for the other file. This would be useful when I want to change a color in one image to match a color in the other open file – right now it’s easy to accidentally overwrite the color I’m trying to keep when I’m copying-pasting between the two palettes.

Ha, okay, I’ve been using the foreground color pop-up window to copy-paste the colors … it looks like I can copy-paste the swatches, which is much faster.

However, it seems inconsistent that I can change a color in a locked palette this way, since I can’t edit it through the foreground/background pop-up.

Should have done some more testing before posting – sorry!

If the target file’s palette is locked, pasting a new swatch over an existing swatch changes the displayed palette but not the indexed color in the image/animation. If the target file’s palette is unlocked, pasting the new swatch over an existing swatch changes the displayed palette and the indexed color in the image/animation. This is what I would expect it to do.

It also brings up the “remap” button at the bottom of the palette; clicking “remap” changes the indexed color in the image/animation back to the original color while leaving the new color displayed in the palette.

For context, I’m re-coloring an animation with an indexed palette so I can use the same animation for different characters. Those files have RGB palettes.

Maybe there’s a different way I should approach this task?