Question - Looking for White Fabric Palette

Hey I’m fairly new to Aesprite and I have been practicing drawing character sprites. I’m not sure if I just don’t have the eye for it yet but I just can’t seem to get the right color palette for white fabrics. They usually end up looking too gray or too colorful.

Anyone know a good starting palette for this? Thanks!

You thought the image was either too dull or too vibrant, so you want to adjust it. Aseprite provides a variety of color palettes to choose from. Simply click on the folder icon next to the colors. You will notice that the palette colors differ in brightness, ranging from light to dark. AAP-64 Has a decent range of brightness and is what I set to my default palette. Your drawing looks nice so far btw :wink:

You can desaturate the image by pressing Ctrl + U and sliding the saturation slider down. This reveals that the shoulder pads have good color balance, but the darkest point of the shirt appears flat and less noticeable.

I would like to suggest watching a video that provides useful tips on colors. Here is one I enjoyed:

1 Like

Thanks, thats very helpful! I didn’t know about the provided palettes or the desaturation so I’ll test those out.

1 Like

I can also suggest you this script. It is useful. @dacap if you are reading this. make this script in the program. not as plug-in. It is useful %100 sure !!

@Phantom,

You can also

1. Create a new layer at the top of the layer stack.
  2. Set its blend mode to Color in Layer > Properties.
  3. Fill the layer with black or white.
  4. Lock the layer.
  5. Toggle its visibility on when you want to check an image’s color values.

To see a comparison between this, the Hue/Saturation Adjustment approach and other options, here’s a row of cubes:

hueCubes01

Before looking at any generated conversions, ask which cube will be the brightest gray and which will be the darkest. Converted images are behind the twirly arrow.

Click on the arrow to the left to expand.

hueCubesHslDesat

:arrow_up: Desaturated in HSL.

hsvDesat01

:arrow_up: Desaturated in HSV.

hueCubesConvertToGrayscale

:arrow_up: Aseprite color mode conversion to grayscale with luminosity method.

hueCubesColorBlendMode

:arrow_up: A layer filled with black set to Color blend mode.

hueCubesSrLchDesat

:arrow_up: Desaturated with the same color space that was used to pick the colors.

Here’s some background on why there’s a difference:

Cheers,
Jeremy

1 Like

I struggle with choosing the right colors & this all was wildly helpful, thank you kindly!