[Script] More Color Shading Options!

Thank you! This is everyone needs. :smiley: I wonder why this not implemented in the main system.

1 Like

You rocks Domjohn. Thanks !

1 Like

Updated hue generation - it was bugging out on the endpoints of the color wheel. Thanks to Jeremy B. for spotting and providing the solution for that!

Iā€™ve also updated the install instructions, apparently ā€œsave file asā€ was causing it to be stored as an HTML file in certain cases. Thus solving the mysterious ā€˜<ā€™ bug after all this time :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

@domjohn Amazing work on the script and keeping it updated. I had previously modified an older version of the script to make a second version where the ā€œgetā€ button was mapped to the BG color instead of the FG (because I didnā€™t yet know how to find the different mousebutton events lol). Instead of splitting it into two copies of the same thing, would it be possible to add a second button next to get, and have one say ā€œGet FGā€ and the other say and do ā€œGet BGā€? I realize itā€™s kind of a non-issue as itā€™s still possible to Swap Colors while the window is open and hit Get again, but it would be more intuitive in the UI at least to have the option.

1 Like

@Brandon_Graham Thanks! I totally see what you mean, this definitely adds to usability. Oddly, regular buttons donā€™t have a way to tell which mouse button is clicked, but I played around with some concepts and came up with something I think youā€™ll really like. Newest version is up on GitHub if you wanna give it a try :slight_smile:

** UPDATE: v2.0 - 5/12/21 **

• Get button now stores both foreground and background color
  • Added background choice to base color picker
  • User can now click to switch between generated base color palettes
  • Fixed dialogue window resizing bug
2 Likes

Wow, I love this new version! Great work, thanks so much!

1 Like

@domjohn Somehow your script doesnā€™t work properly in beta (1.3). I donā€™t know why, but dlg.bounds.x and dlg.bounds.y are zero, so dialog is created at (0, 0). As possible workaround - edit existing dlg, not create new. Is it possible and can i help you?

1 Like

I have a very hacky workaround for now: change the very last dlg:show at the end of the script to include your preferred coordinates:

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I donā€™t believe thereā€™s a function to refresh an existing dialogue window, but having that command in API would be amazing. What Iā€™ve done is just pass along the current bounds and do an close/open to mimic that, but it looks like weā€™ve lost a way to get the current coords of the window.

@dacap I ran a few more tests in the 1.3 beta and it looks like weā€™ve lost dialogue bounds functionality in the scripting API (it always returns x and y as zero). Unless Iā€™m missing something?

3 Likes

I was wondering if there was a way to change the way the shading palette goes such warm shading to cooler, I find with oranges in particular it seems to just dull them down immediately into a dark blue> Apart from that it has been really useful and good

well, yeah, itā€™s a script, so of course there is a way to change how it behaves ;]

thereā€™s a function called colorShift, which takes following five parameters as inputs:
color, hueShift, satShift, lightShift and shadeShift
roughly in the middle of the script thereā€™s this block:

-- SHADING COLORS 
local S1 = colorShift(C, 0, 0.3, -0.6, -0.6)
local S2 = colorShift(C, 0, 0.2, -0.2, -0.3)
local S3 = colorShift(C, 0, 0.1, -0.1, -0.1)
local S5 = colorShift(C, 0, 0.1, 0.1, 0.1)
local S6 = colorShift(C, 0, 0.2, 0.2, 0.2)
local S7 = colorShift(C, 0, 0.3, 0.5, 0.4)

change the values which are passed to the function and you will get different outputs.

for example these values:

local S1 = colorShift(C, -0.12, 0, -0.4, 0)
local S2 = colorShift(C, -0.08, 0, -0.2, 0)
local S3 = colorShift(C, -0.04, 0, -0.1, 0)
local S5 = colorShift(C, 0.04, -0.1, 0.1, 0)
local S6 = colorShift(C, 0.06, -0.2, 0.3, 0)
local S7 = colorShift(C, 0.08, -0.4, 0.6, 0)

will give you this result:
_temp_shading

so, tweak it as you wish.

1 Like

hello my friend.
thanks a lot for creating this script.
i change the overal logic of the code to fixing the bugs.
and i add new feauture to auto pick color from eyedropper and color palette (like PyxelEdit)

you can get script in link blew
https://github.com/yashar98/aseprite/blob/main/Color%20Shading%20v3.0.lua

video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ih2TUezOoA

3 Likes

Very cool, Yashar!! I like your code approach (Iā€™m admittedly an LUA noob), and have been wondering a long time on how to get a function to watch any change in the userā€™s foreground or bg colors. I may try my hand at adding something like this in the future, or combining our codebases if thatā€™s something your interested in.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

thankā€™s a lot my friend. your code help me a lot for generating different shades.
itā€™s my first time coding in lua but by reading the lua document and seeing the aseprite plugin example codes i realized that everything (functions and variablesā€¦) should defined as local and when we use local the order of recall be important for example if we define ā€˜local fun1ā€™ in line 5 and ā€˜local fun2ā€™ on line 10 you canā€™t recall fun2 inside fun1 because itā€™s defined after that and when fun1 excuted fun2 not exist in memory (lua execute code line by line top to botton).
and another mistake you have made is to recreate the whole dialogue by recalling it while you should just modify itā€™s elements or data.
yes why not! you can change or combining our codes (or whatever you like) :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve found it tedious to create palettes by hand when what I was doing could be automized. When I found your script, I changed a bunch of values and ā€œattemptedā€ to make them not mess each other up when opening multiple different versions of the script.

This didnā€™t work, because I didnā€™t actually know until recently, where and how colors were saved. Hence why my changes are very amateurish and some completely unnecessary.

Anyways, Iā€™ve only really changed numbers, added more colors for pretty much my own needs. Iā€™m only just now considering posting this here, because someone might stumble over it and find that it does exactly what they want.

Color Shading Ultra

Besides adding hard and soft versions to shade and light variations, Iā€™ve also added a ā€œSkinā€ shading option, that Iā€™ve tuned to shade skin tones. Itā€™s by no means perfect, but did a good enough job for me.

The hue shifting also has two different versions, but their point is to shift to evenly spaced hues. With the hard hue dividing the color circle into 12 sections and the soft hue giving you the inbetweens of the neighboring colors.

If this interests you, you can find my (very unfinished) scripts here:

They come in three flavors of different amounts of shades. light with the original number, mega with some more shades and ultra with pretty much all my additions and the most shades.

There are things I wanted to add, like saving entire lines to the palette (or generating a full palette with different hues), but I decided that since I want to do some very specific things, Iā€™ll make a script from scratch, because I donā€™t know how half the functions in this even work. Besides, my edits ALREADY arenā€™t in the spirit of the original.

1 Like

made an addon/edit to this to create a gradient picker for anti-aliasing. GitHub - Daeyangae/aseprite: Aseprite plugins and palette helper thing.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/527442731732041728/1095406912662675598/image.png
looks like this, the only thing added was the last row. idk if this is something that was eventually going to be put in the main program but //shrugs