Windows Ink on -> Aseprite can't detect pen cursor

EDIT3: I discovered while resolving an unrelated issue that choosing ‘Wintab’ in the Tablet Preferences resolves this issue.

This happens while I have windows ink on for my huion drawing tablet (Huion Official Store: Drawing Tablets, Pen Tablets, Pen Display, Led Light Pad) while working in Aseprite, and I’m not sure why.

The cursor (while using a pen) seems to, for the purpose of zooming (and middle mouse panning), be considered to be wherever I left it when I stopped using the mouse. Furthermore, while the cursor is shown to be outside of the aseprite app while I hover over the preview with the pen, it only looks like that on OBS. On my tablet, it shows the mouse over the preview.
It’s practically impossible to use the zoom features on the tablet, and setting a tablet button to be middle mouse makes panning really wonky (it moves the entire screen towards where I left the mouse cursor last, provided that I left it inside of the aseprite app).
I’ve tried this on the latest non-beta branch of Aseprite as well, same effect.

Disabling Windows Ink removes all of these issues, but doing so disables pressure sensitivity.

EDIT: This could, admittedly, be occurring on other devices as well, didn’t have the time to try that, in which case it’s a windows ink problem only…
EDIT2: I tried it using MSPaint as well as Affinity Photo, and, scrolling functions work as normal. This is most likely a problem with how Aseprite and Windows Ink interact together. I’ll see if I can’t make a better recording, I feel like the video might not show what’s going on that well…

Hi @TerraReveene, thanks for reporting this bug. Actually I think it’s related to a known issue. Anyway I’ve created a GitHub issue about this to keep track and try to solve it ASAP.

1 Like