Surface pro with aseprite?

I’m thinking of getting a surface pro to use with aseprite. Does anyone has any experience that could let me know if aseprite is optimized good enough to be used on a surface pro. Any insight would be helpful. Thank You!

It’s generally okay to use with touchscreen and stylus. You can set up the touch to pan and zoom with gestures and the pen has pressure sensitivity that you can use in various ways, so for certain use cases, it’s pretty good.
That being said, if you plan to use it in tablet mode (without a physical keyboard) it can get tricky, because you don’t have access to your shortcuts. That can be solved either with an extension, or by getting an external keyboard or keypad. I personally use a wireless numpad that I rebind keys to using Autohotkey for my shortcuts. Check this thread, you can even do it with a videogame controller!

My advice would be to try using Aseprite with a normal graphics tablet without a screen (a pad tablet) first if you have one, to see if you like it, before buying a tablet PC (if this is the only reason you’re buying it ofcourse). Even if you don’t have a pad tablet, you can easily find a second-hand one by wacom or huion for around 50$ or less, depending on where you live. It’s a useful thing to have anyway.
My personal take is, the pressure pen is only useful for large-scale pieces like backgrounds and stuff, for precise and small-scale pixel art I still prefer my mouse. Your mileage may differ.

2 Likes

I appreciate your response! I’ve been trying to get an answer on various forums and your the first to give me an answer with great insight.
Thank you so much!

1 Like

I’ve been making animations for a few years using an iPad as a graphics tablet for my MacBook (using Astropad). Aseprite is very useable in this fashion if you have a keyboard. If you want to use touch screen only (do not recommend), you could always use (or write) a dialog box script that executes common commands. Simple ScriptRobust Script

1 Like