A pixel-art video editor / animation studio program

Hi everyone,

What would you think if Aseprite came up with a pixel-art friendly video editing solution, or even better - a complete animation studio program for making pixel-art cartoon films with, like Flash / Animate / ToonBoom?

I keep thinking about this every now and then, since video editing programs just don’t handle low resolution and sharp pixel-art assets very well. Which led me think of what if there was something dedicated to pixel-art that could work in harmony with Aseprite, the same as Photoshop does with Premiere Pro - you make your assets in Aseprite, and then import them (with Aseprite proprietary file format) into the studio program where you could build scenes and manipulate the animations as you pleased.

If such animation studio program would ever come true, I for one would love to see some of these features in it:

1. Setting animation sequences as ‘symbols’ for using upon call.
  2. A character object engine that could store many animation sequences (symbols) in it, such as a temporary animation sequence of a character doing something, or even walking animation cycles for each direction that could be set to automatically play when setting the character to move from one spot to another.
  3. A true lip-sync engine that could match a visual mouth frame movement that is stored in a symbol to a speech audio clip.
  4. Ability to record audio clips directly in the timeline - this could be handy for making placeholders when building a scene, before you have the final speech clips that you wish to use.
  5. Ability to make an ASCII / UTF-8 pixel fonts with Left-To-Right and Right-To-Left support, that you could either use for adding titles or even captions / subtitles to your project.
  6. Adding transitions between clips, such as fade-in, fade-out, or even import a pixel-art animation of yours as a custom transition.
  7. Camera object that could be set with keyframes to either move around and zoom in and out to and from certain areas in the scene, for close-ups and wide shots for example.

I can go on and on, but you get the idea - it’s like a game engine without the ability to play the game - you just use a game engine features for making a pixel-art movie.

Would love to hear what you think, and if you would put such program into use.

Either way, I suppose that some of the ideas above could be considered to be added to Aseprite as well.