A tool faster then selecting, dragging, and rotating

Broom%20Tool

As seen in the GIF above, the proposed broom tool would push pixels in the direction of the cursor’s circle while holding down left-click. Using the broom tool while already on top pixels would drag them along. Holding right-click would only drag/push pixels that are the foreground color.

I doubt this is a niche thing, but a tool like this would accomplish something that I could only do with multiple keyboard shortcuts and a lot of effort. Aseprite has had many updates that have reduced the time and effort of doing pixel art. A tool like this seems as if it would help further that goal.

Also, conceptually, this makes a lot more sense than a smudge or smear tool in terms of pixel art. This Idea would even function faster than selecting and dragging occasionally.

5 Likes

I’ve never considered such a tool. Could have some interesting uses!

1 Like

This seems like a neat idea, but I’m struggling to come up with use-cases for it that aren’t just fun playing around. (But then, I can also find plenty of uses for an indexed Smudge tool, so maybe we just approach pixel art very differently xP)

1 Like

Hmm interesting! Could potentially be useful for animating tilesets and such!

1 Like

Not sure I like the way it’s presented currently, but I have been wanting kind of a warp tool like in GIMP. Used to drag pixels around in a smooth way without antialiasing and interpolation and smearing them out by replicating pixels you are dragging based on a slider that determines how “heavy” the smear is.

The main issue with OPs tool I think is user input being jittery, especially using a tablet.

2 Likes