Applying A Custom-Snake-Textures To Shapes

Reptile Skin Texture-export

Sprite-0002

I am confused on how to possibly apply this texture I made. Any idea how to best apply it? I am BAD at pretty much everything…or more-or-less stuck without a direct teacher or anything like it

And yes, been a few months again since I was last here…I’m not one for creative thinking

just serach references bud, it will help, thought you need to aim to do something if you dont know what you are doing you cant research reference

I’ve seen other guys stuff…somehow I’m not sure exactly how they did it…I can copy but not really make my own

first things first having a explanation does not always help looking and analysing a image is always good, and theres no problem sort of copying if you are new to pixelart, because by looking up various people artworks and seeing references and whatching dozens of tutorials in in pixelart and art in general you will slowly but surely start putting your own touches in the process and before you noticed you have solidely develop a style.
just dont go straight up tracing shit or recoloring others arworks, and if you think you took too much “inspiration” for someone just reference them on your post.

2 Likes

Internet failed for a few days

Okay, you got a point, I think I’ll look up Lospec, they may have their own stuff I could sorta see, I don’t see many instruction vids tbh

Say, if making new textures, for things based on say the moon

How do you draw said textures when the surface of the original isn’t flat?

Or how do you account for stuff like shadows on the texture…I’m not sure how to sum up all my problems

This thread is super confusing. Are you talking about UV mapping?

You can do that with 3D modeling software, like Blender, screen cap below.

If you’re working solely in Aseprite you’d be making all the decisions about light, perspective and the illusion of volume. There are script-based tools that can assist with isometric perspective if that is your primary focus.

If Aseprite is just one step in a longer process, you’d have to learn about the different kinds of textures that are laid onto a 3D shape, and what kind of information is included in each. For example, above, I only used the upper third of your texture because Blender took care of the shading for me.

Spheres, like the moon, are more complicated because there’s more than one kind (UV Sphere, cube sphere, icosphere) and each flatten out to a different 2D UV map.

picoCAD may be a good place to start if anything I said seems overwhelming, or if you want a look that uses 3D techniques but is closer in spirit to pixel art.

Youtubers like BEN and Brandon James Greer have videos that show it in use.

Best,
Jeremy

Not entirely sure myself, but I was sorta aiming to do something like that pic you showed me

I am not sure how to even make new textures on a flat surface like Mr Mislav’s…I overcomplicate making things like the idea of making a moon surface template on a square…partially because I know it’s NOT like metal, so can’t just repeat that easily

I have a hard time figuring out how I can make these references into textures

Or how to put them into the surface of a square properly

I mean this is somehow my take on an asteroid’s surface

Sprite-0001

It would be a good idea to describe why you want to do this. If it’s for a specific game or as a general practice, because it’s quite confusing as it is.

Or how to put them into the surface of a square properly

The square is usually a 3D cube, and the way to assign your texture is via texture mapping or UV unwrapping. Many matcaps or materials you posted are handpainted, so it’s not like they will stretch and align to an object with a cube shape or any other shape, or at least they won’t look as good as like your examples. They are drawn, usually by hand, on top of a cube or a sphere template but they’re not actually attached to the surfaces of them.

There’s also some 3D features you’d have to fake in 3D, like the metal sheen and reflections. Those are usually 3D features you’d have to fake if you were to paint them by hand.

You should look into making repeating textures or tiles. Some need to repeat endlessly, some may not.

I am mostly doing it, in part just because I like Pixel Art

I just want to figure out how to make individual textures/tiles first before seeing how to apply them to shapes

Thing is, the only vids I can find are Mr Mislav’s wood and steel textures, everything else even on Lospec is surprisingly small and somehow complicated…hard finding even on youtube

Not that I’m much help here, but I share the passion for pixel art, and as well making planetoids and such.

Personally, making textures on GIMP, playing with some filters and such gives me much more control before moving things to Aseprite. :slight_smile:

Best of luck! :vulcan_salute:

I never used GIMP before, I think part of my problem is being able to visualize textures on flat surfaces