Arch build doesn't start (error while loading shared libraries)

Using the latest Arch build, Aseprite cannot find libcmark.so.0.28.3. Until this is resolved, I symlinked libcmark.so to the 0.28.3 version.

Full error message:

aseprite: error while loading shared libraries: libcmark.so.0.28.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Since I can’t check from inside the app, the package reports version 1.2.9, revision 2.

Workaround:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcmark.so{,.0.28.3}

Thanks in advance.

Hi @alter2000, sorry but we don’t distribute any Arch build.

I’m using Antergos, which is basically just an easy installer for Arch, and what I did was download the official Linux Debian package which you can get from wherever you bought Aseprite (mine was through Humble Bundle). Now Arch can’t use this package immediately, but what you can do is convert it into an Arch Package by following this tutorial: https://www.ostechnix.com/convert-deb-packages-arch-linux-packages/

@dacap Sorry, I meant the PKGBUILD from the AUR that compiles from source, not a binary package. I believe this problem will eventually show up in other distros as well.

@SeanRamey Thanks for the info, but it’s running fine for now. Besides, using debtap means the whole process will need to be scripted and published in order to run properly. I’m not sure whether Aseprite bundles its libraries in the other packages, but I’d rather not have multiple versions of the same thing a la Windows if it does.

@alter2000 Well, the difference is that the AUR packages are out of date, AND it’s technically piracy since Aseprite is not a free program, even though it is open source. My method is not intended to be scripted (unless for your own use) and definitely not intended to be published. It is a simple way for legitimate owners of Aseprite to use the latest version on Arch Linux with the native package manager.

You do not need to publish nor script anything for it to run correctly either. It converts a Debian package into an Arch package, so it includes all the dependencies and meta information. It is 100% complete, and I wholly recommend uninstalling the AUR version and downloading the official Debian package, and converting it to Arch Package, then installing the Arch Package via pacman.

1 Like