Avoid using Steam on macOS?

I see that you can make the windows version portable - can something like that be done on Mac so I don’t have to start steam every time I want to use it?

Thanks!

I don’t know mac but I’d guess the same method might work. There is only a portable version of Aseprite as far as I know, and on Windows steam only tacks on a .dll file that lets Steam track your hours and that’s it. Have you tried simply copying the files out of the steam folder.

1 Like

This bugs me too except with the Itch version (I wish the standalone could do delta updates and this all be solved!).

Anyway, try grabbing the .app file and making a shortcut of it. Drag the shortcut to your Applications folder and then it should show up in Spotlight search. That’s how I got around it!

1 Like

Thanks!
I copied the folder to /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Aseprite/ to /Applications/Aseprite/ and it seems to work. The only problem is that I get two hits when using Spotlight.

I can live with that - but honestly though - I’d rather have an internal updater.