Changing frame rate when animating?

I can only change the “miliseconds” but I don’t get what it means or how to change the FPS.

Help me out here? (I need to animate in 30 FPS.)

Aseprite works with frame durations, just as game engines do under the hood. That is more flexible than FPS (Hz), as it allows some frames to be on the screen longer than others. Milliseconds are 1/1000ths of a second.

To achieve 30 FPS, set all your frames to have a duration of 33ms .

Caveat: 30fps is actually 33.333…ms (1000/30 = 33.333…), but Aseprite and many other animating programs have no way to enter that (this has been suggested as a feature in the past, so maybe one day). 33ms is actually 30.3 FPS. The difference between 33ms and 33.333…ms is largely imperceptible in most cases. However, these are situations where the difference can be noticeable, such as if it adds up over the course of a lengthy animation synced to a single audio track. If that’s your situation and the animation must play at exactly 30fps, you could create it with the reference audio track sped up by 1.01%, and then play the exported animation at 30fps in your game/video editor/whatever, synced to the original audio track. In the case of games, this problem can be avoided entirely by using animation events to trigger short audio clips instead of having a fully pre-recorded, pre-timed audio track.

4 Likes

Thanks, that was all really helpful and in depth, I appreciate that. I’ll use 33 from now on, and thankfully I’m only doing character animations with this anyway so this works out just fine.

1 Like

If you really MUST achieve 30fps you could introduce leap milliseconds :stuck_out_tongue: every third frame lasts 34ms. I don’t think the change is noticeable.

1 Like