Copy Paste deletes areas in hidden layer

Hi, I’ve been using Aseprite for a long time, it’s nearing 5000 hours, and the one thing that has bothered me the most is a bug (as far as I know) that can be really problematic and has existed for as long as I can remember, as mentioned in the title if you copy paste from one layer, hide that layer, and paste into another layer it will delete the copied content from the hidden layer. What confuses me is how easy it is to replicate and that it hasn’t been fixed yet.

Hi there, did you mean cut paste from one layer? Because I wasn’t able to reproduce it by copy pasting first. Then I tried cut and paste on one layer, hide that layer, and paste into another, then I saw the behavior you are mentioning. Which differs from what I see when I do the same but without hiding the layer, so it seems like a bug.

1 Like

This bug happens when I simply use CTRL+C and CTRL+V, but this morning it’s working as intended, it seems that I jumped the gun too quickly, there’s definitely more requirements for this bug to happen than what I thought, this is definitely more common in long sessions, I’m guessing a certain number of actions may trigger this bug to occur until I close the program, what you mentioned might be related to this, I did what you said and was able to replicate it easily but for me this happens as well with normal copy paste but not always, I lost a lot of parts of artwork because you don’t really notice its gone until you check up on that layer again.

Now I got a video showing the problem, you see me Copy Paste using the shortcuts, paste on a new layer and the original area had content deleted from it, then shortly after I couldn’t replicate the bug, but it’s something that occurs a couple of times a week depending on the sessions. VIDEO

In the video I see a subtle difference between the first copy & paste (when the bug occurred) and the second (when it doesn’t). The first time the selection blinks and your cursor doesn’t seem to change to the double arrow (which should happen when control is pressed inside the selection rectangle), it seems to change after the paste was made. At the second copy & paste I don’t see any blinking on the selection (which is what I see when I try to reproduce the issue). So, if you can send us your user.aseprite-keys file to support@aseprite.org and reference this post it would be great.

Tip: To find the user.aseprite-keys file go to Edit > Preferences to open the preferences dialog and in the General pane click on Locate Configuration File, a file explorer should open at the folder containing the file.

Also, it would be really helpful if you can record another video showing the issue along with which keyboard keys are pressed (maybe I’m asking too much, I don’t even know how to do it by myself, but if you do, that would be amazing).

1 Like

Oh Wow you have excellent perception :sweat_smile: , as you know with Aseprite even if you have a selection if you click the cell and Copy/Paste you will copy the entire cell instead of the selection so I developed the habit of always left clicking the selection and copy pasting after, don’t know why I haven’t noticed it yet but that seems to be the problem, now I can replicate the issue as many times I want: Create Selection > Left Click Selection > Close Layer > Paste on another Layer , and the content copied from the last layer will be deleted.
Let me know if you still need any files from me.
Sry I didn’t intend to post so many times.

1 Like

Now I see, it happens because when you left click the selection, Aseprite automatically sets the selected area to “moving pixels mode”, which is the same as making a cut & paste after selecting the area. So actually It’s Not a Bug, It’s a Feature TM :sweat_smile:

I see, unfortunately I don’t see why it should work that way but at least now I know how to avoid it.

Hi @Skullbushi, this behavior is super confusing. At the moment we don’t drop the selection when the layer is hidden, but we should. In that way the bug would be fixed. I’ll make an issue linking to this bug report :+1:

1 Like