Drawing with larger pixels when increasing resolution

EDIT: As soon as I stepped away for a bit and thought it through I realized this problem is probably very specific to me (and maybe a few others) and it’s probably just better as a script request or if I have time to learn Lua I’ll write it myself.

So, I do a lot of animating at double the original pixel resolution so I can have smoother animations (moving between two pixels).

An annoying issue I’ve been have currently is whenever I want to draw any new details at this larger resolution, while still keeping the look of the original resolution, I need to copy the layers to a new file, cut the sprite size by 50%, edit them, and then increase the size again and copy them back to the original.
The reason I need to do all this is it’s just not practical to draw at larger resolutions while still keeping the 1x1 pixel appearance.

Let me try to explain it another way: When doubling the resolution every pixel that took up a 1x1 space now takes up a 2x2 space, right. But if I want to keep the appearance of the original resolution I need to make sure every pixel I place is aligned to a 2x2 grid. Sure there’s the ‘Snap to Grid’ option but this doesn’t really help at all for drawing because:

1. It doesn’t work while clicking and dragging
  2. It doesn’t work when clicking in one spot, holding shift, and clicking in another to make a line
  3. It doesn’t work when using the shape tool
  4. I could go on but basically in any instance that isn’t clicking every single pixel the snap to grid just doesn’t help

So if there could be an option for something like “drawing resolution” that would allow you to set a value from 1-X (X could be any number, it’s just a cap to restrict the user from making it too large and lagging their application) and then when placing any pixel from any tool it would place it as if you were drawing on a (current-resolution (divided by) drawing-resolution) image.

(A possible quality-of-life (though I not sure if this would make it better or worse) is the brush size would get multiplied by your current “drawing resolution” while “drawing resolution” is active; meaning you’d place pixels of a 2x2 size at a “drawing resolution” of 2 with a 1 size brush, 4x4 size at a “drawing resolution” of 2 with a 2 size brush, etc.)

In order for this to work with any resolution the user should be able to select a corner when turning on “drawing resolution” and then the application would use that corner as the anchor when doing its calculations on where each pixel should be.

This might be able to be implemented by just making every pixel snap to the grid no matter how it’s placed (I haven’t explored the grid snapping much since it’s not useful for my needs).

I can only suggest writing a script to automate your operations i.e. size down 50% of selected cels to separate file (create it and allow edit it) and then size up and copy back to original file. You may also bind keys shortcuts to these operations.

Yeah, as soon as I stepped away for a bit and thought it through I realized this problem is probably very specific to me (and maybe a few others) and it’s probably just better as a script request or if I have time to learn Lua I’ll write it myself.