[Extension] NxPA Studio

NxPA Studio - Download :link: - Source Code :link:

NxPA Studio started almost two years ago when I learned that Aseprite allows for writing and running scripts. I wanted to test how much can be done in LUA so I ported a few scaling algorithms.

Currently, It’s a script suite/extension that adds image-processing functionalities.

Contains:

• Advanced Scaling (in the Sprite menu) [Alt+Shift+I] - allows for upscaling pixel art without introducing new colors using a variety of algorithms:
    • Eagle
    • Scale2x
    • Scale3x
    • Hawk (custom algorithm)
  • Add Inbetween Frames (in the frames, right-click context menu) [Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I] - adds in between frames based on position.
  • Analyze Colors (in the Sprite menu) - analyzes color usage, allows for changing any of the used colors, and palette sorting.

Any feedback and requests are welcome. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

NxPA Studio v2.0.0 is released and you can get It from GitHub or Itch.io.

Changelog:

• Added a new script - Analyze Colors
  • Advanced Scaling
    • Fixed an issue that broke any other script that used Color class from Aseprite’s API
1 Like

Preview of the new Analyze Colors script:

3 Likes

Aseprite and its LUA API changed significantly since the last release, a lot more is possible now than was in October of 2020.

This update is a long-overdue rewrite that introduces improvements to the overall user experience, not a lot of changes in terms of functionality. However, some features that did not add much value or proved to cause issues were cut for the sake of a better, more stable experience.

Changelog:

• Advanced Scaling
    • [Improvement] Reworked dialog for better user experience
    • [Improvement] Frames selected for tweening are now highlighted on the timeline
    • [Improvement] Menu entry under Frame menu is now only enabled when a sprite is open
    • [Improvement] Dialog now blocks the rest of the UI until closed, like native Aseprite functions
  • Add Inbetween Frames
    • [Change] Removed Hawk algorithms
    • [Improvement] Menu entry under Sprite menu is now only enabled when a sprite is open
    • [Improvement] Buttons for scaling are now disabled when there’s no active sprite e.g. when switching to the Home tab
  • Analyze Colors
    • [Change] Functionality for replacing colors has been removed
    • [Change] Fully transparent pixels are now ignored
    • [Improvement] Menu entry under Sprite menu is now only enabled when a sprite is open
    • [Improvement] Dialog now refreshes live when making changes to an active sprite or switching a sprite, layer, or frame
    • [Fix] Palette colors are no longer replaced with colors from the sprite when sorting - instead, the palette is extended with new colors

You can get the newest version of the extension from Itch.io or GitHub .

2 Likes

An update to v2.3.0 was released - another long overdue, substantial update that provides a lot of improvements - all functionalities removed by update v2.2.0 are now restored, with even better performance!

The overall UX should be improved with updated dialog windows and default keyboard shortcuts for options added by the extension.

All of this is in preparation for a much bigger update to v3.0.0, hopefully sometime later this year. :v:

Changes:

• Add Inbetween Frames
    • [Improvement] Move the menu option to the Frames context menu (right-click menu)
    • [Improvement] Rename the menu option to “Inbetween Frames”
    • [Improvement] Change sliders to number inputs for the frame range, for easier selection in files with a high number of frames
    • [Improvement] Add a default keyboard shortcut - Alt+Shift+I
    • [Fix] Correctly in between frames in group layers
  • Advanced Scaling
    • [Improvement] Reworked dialog window for UX consistency with Aseprite
    • [Improvement] Reintroduce the Hawk scaling algorithm
    • [Improvement] Add an option to scale an image multiple times
    • [Improvement] Improve performance of image scaling
    • [Improvement] Add a default keyboard shortcut - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I
  • Analyze Colors
    • [Improvement] Reworked dialog window to fit on smaller screens
    • [Improvement] Reintroduce color replacement
    • [Improvement] Improve performance of color analysis