I recently built Smart Asset Exporter, an Aseprite extension designed to reduce the repetitive work involved in preparing animated assets for game development.
Instead of exporting frames, animation tags, sprite sheets, previews, and metadata separately, the extension generates an organized export package in one go.
It can automatically export:
Individual PNG frames
Animation tags into separate folders
Sprite sheets + JSON
Per-tag sprite sheets + JSON
Animated GIF previews
JSON metadata/manifest
Assets at 1x, 2x, or 4x scale
An organized folder structure ready for further use
My goal is mainly to save time for pixel artists and indie developers who repeatedly export animated assets from Aseprite.
I’d also really appreciate feedback from Aseprite users. If you regularly export assets for Godot, Unity, or another engine, what part of your current export workflow is the most repetitive or annoying?
That feedback will help me decide what to improve in future versions. Thanks!
Following up on my Smart Asset Exporter, I realized that bringing those exported files into Godot still takes a bit of manual setup.
So, I just released a companion tool to complete the workflow: Pixel Pipeline for Godot.
It’s a Godot plugin that automatically scans the folder exported by Smart Asset Exporter and instantly generates ready-to-use SpriteFrames inside Godot. No more manual animation rebuilding!
If your workflow is Aseprite → Godot, you can check out the new Godot plugin here:
Would love to hear if this combination makes your game dev process faster!