Eyedropper tool problem?

Been using Aseprite for a few years now and I love it. But there is one small issue that’s been plaguing my experience with it since the very beginning. You see, I love the eyedropper tool but, when I use it, sometimes I want to have the same color in both the Foreground color and Background color slots, so I quickly click left and then right to do that. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. It might be because I end up clicking on both clicks at the same time. Or when I press right click while left is still pressed or the other way around. I am not sure to be honest.

Can you please fix this? It’s an issue that’s been a pain in my back since this program was free.

I am using the Aseprite v1.2-beta12.
All previous versions have the same problem.

Hi @Jo_Deluxe, until David gets back from LudumDare perhaps this will help? ‘x’ swaps the fg and bg colours, which may make picking more reliable? Only one more click than the process you’re using, which also works for me :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip but I still really, really, really… I mean REALLY want this fixed.

It looks like the last click start picking the color for that button. E.g. if you press the left mouse button it picks the foreground color, then if you press the right mouse button it starts picking colors for the background. Releasing left button and pressing it again will start picking colors for the foreground color.

I’ll see what I can do about this one. Anyway I would like if there is not something bigger to be fixed: why do you need both colors to be the same so often?

It is a habit that I generally do before I cut something in order to make sure the color I select is left after the cut. I know I can just right click for that but for some reason I click both. Maybe I do it for other stuff but I don’t remember right now.

1 Like

A related feature is the ability to paint/fill the selection with a color in a quick way without deselecting. This feature is referenced here:

Fill selection content changing FG color or other recolor technique.

Thanks for the tip but I am away from home right now and it will take a few days before I get to test this feature out.