Frame duration problem when exporting animation

Hello!
I recently purchased this software and it’s great! I already know how to use most of the stuff, but I have a problem though.

I am trying to export an animation for a game engine, and I did it as a png sequence.

However, it just exports the number of frames of my animation, not adding repeated frames for those which duration is longer. As a consequence, when I import it into my game engine, the animation just run all the same.

Any way to export the animation in a way it will be ready to import it into the engine and preserve the frame duration info?

I tried as a gif but it won’t have the necessary transparecy for the background not to be there either.

Thank you very much!

The only ways are to either just add additional frames where you need to delay things and then export as .png, manually adjusting the delay in engine, maybe to import them as gifs and grab the timings from there, or to make an Aseprite importer (there’s one available for Unity at least) which lets you import .ase files which could let you grab the delay.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the answer Kashou!

It seems a little bit of a hassle to be honest U_U . In photoshop, there is this export which will do it perfectly. It’s such a pity, since Aseprite is like millions times better than photoshop to work with pixels – I’ve been using it for years and aseprite just for a couple of weeks, and I really love it.

I’m using Game Maker Studio, so I think there is not such plug in (I’ll look into it hehe).

I tried to sort it out by importing it in photoshop using a GIF from aseprite, but as it doesn’t have transparency, it is quite crazy to go one by one frame selecting the bk and deleting it – I have animations with up to 100 unique frames …

You could export as a spritesheet instead, and use the accompanying JSON file to grab the timings. This would probably make for easier importing too, since it’s one file (well, two if you count the JSON metadata file), much less stuff to import and it avoids redundant files for the longer frames. You could also export just the JSON file and not the spritesheet, in which case you’d just need to match from the JSON frame data to your separate PNGs.

2 Likes

Ah yeah you can export JSONs as well.

But either way, this is partially the reason why you shouldn’t mix frame timings when animating. It should all be a constant frame rate, and if there’s a delay anywhere it will be for a full frame duration. Any other changes can be done in engine afterwards, like if you have a speed boost power up or something and you wanna speed up the animation etc.

1 Like

Thank you very much to you both! I’m gonna try eishiya solution, but if I find it too complicated to implement (I have quite limited knowledge in programming unfortunately) I will go with what you say kashou, and animate it different.

Another way I found a workaround – just in case it could help anyone – is to import the gif in photoshop, remove the background, and then export it BUT using the automation tools. This way have to do that tedious work only once, and then just let the photoshop automation remove the background for me every time.