Here's a free tool for helping to memorize Aseprite's hotkeys!

Hello everyone! This is my first post here, but I’ve created something super useful for systematically memorizing all of Aseprite’s hotkeys, so I figured I’d go ahead and share it here despite being a newbie.

Basically, I’ve created a virtual 300+ card deck for quizzing yourself on the meaning of all of the hotkeys in Aseprite using a very popular 100% free card deck program called Anki. The card deck I made has essentially complete coverage and contains both directions of memorization (both from action to hotkey and from hotkey to action) for all of the hotkeys listed in Aseprite’s hotkey config pages for v1.2.27.

Here’s a link to the page for the deck where I posted it to Anki’s official database:

Aseprite default hotkeys memorization deck

Anki automatically tries to guess how long it will take for you to start forgetting each card you’ve already reviewed and then pushes the next scheduled review of that card forward in time by a corresponding amount. In this way, Anki makes memorization a lot more time efficient. Anki makes it so that memorization is more like a choice than like something that just happens randomly that you can’t always control. You just need to make sure you quiz yourself on it each day basically and make your best guess on each card without looking up the answer.

This kind of approach has been shown in studies of education techniques to be vastly more effective at learning than merely passively reading something and trying to keep it in your head. Effortful quizzing where you allow yourself to initially make wrong guesses regardless of what you currently know is actually much more effective than merely reading correct information, which surprises some people but it’s true.

Anki is available on both desktop computers and on mobile. You’ll need to download the program and set it up. It’s useful for many other uses besides just hotkey memorization. It’s one of my favorite programs. I recommend you give it a try. It could save you a lot of time and effort in the long run. It lets you ensure that any set of facts you’ve turned into a card deck will become things you’ll never forget.

The deck I’ve created especially makes the less commonly used hotkeys a lot more easy to learn, since the deck (in effect) compensates for the fact that for many hotkeys you don’t get as many chances to use them and by the time you would have you’ve already used the GUI instead of the hotkeys.

For full disclosure, I’m actually a programmer but I’m looking to try my hand at a bit of pixel art soon to mix things up, so I’m a big newbie on pixel art (although I know some 3D and sculpting), but I figure I can put my technical inclinations to systematize most things I encounter to good use by sharing this here.

Anyway, I hope that you find it useful!

2 Likes

Never thought I’d see Anki on a forum not meant for language learning lol

Thanks for the deck though, this will be fun to try!

Yeah, Anki seems to be used a lot for language learning, but with a bit of effort the format can be made to work for a lot of other things too. I use it for quizzing myself on programming too, for example, by changing the font size and text alignment, etc.

I hope you find the deck useful! :slightly_smiling_face: :art:

1 Like