Highlight layer like tags

Hello,

Quick question: is it possible to highlight layers as is currently possible with the frame headers via use of tags?

Also, just curious if there is an option to set the default width of the layers in the UI since my layer names are a bit long. Would be nice so i don’t have to keep manually adjusting the width everytime i start aseprite.

Thanks!

What do you mean by “highlight”? If it helps, you can set colours on the layers in Layer Properties, you may need to click the User Data button to enable the Color field.

Aseprite automatically saves your layout, including the width of the layers list. If this isn’t happening, then perhaps something about your OS is preventing these setting from being saved? In Edit > Preferences > General, you can click “Locate configuration file” and see if things get saved there when you change them, or perhaps edit the file manually to create the layout you want. Make sure the file isn’t read-only (though it shouldn’t be). The relevant setting in aseprite.ini is probably timeline_layer_panel_width = ### under [general].

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply eishiya.

The first item is resolved. With the layer widths though, I didn’t see any option named timeline_layer_panel_width in the configuration file. I’m using Windows 11 which has been a bit troublesome to use, so it could be causing issues with saving, but that option should be there I think.

Here are the contents of my config file:

[GfxMode]
Maximized = true
Width = 1024
Height = 768
WindowLayout = 1 2 3 -1 -1 -1 -1 48 61 1090 876

[general]
screen_scale = 1
visible_timeline = true
recent_items = 36
ui_scale = 1
language =

[updater]
wait_days = 0.200000
last_check = 1641489114
current_version = 1.3-dev
inits = 33
exits = 31
uuid = //

[FileSelect]
CurrentDirectory = []

[MiniEditor]
WindowPos = 820 432 480 277
Enabled = false

[CanvasSize]
WindowPos = 179 190 390 342

[layout:main_window]
color_bar_splitter = 66
palette_spectrum_splitter = 80
fg_color = 0
bg_color = 0
timeline_splitter = 76.6438

[news]
cache_file = C:\Users\NN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Aseprite\http—blog.aseprite.org-rss

[selection]
opaque = false
rotation_algorithm = 1
mode = 0

[new_file]
width = 1920
height = 1200
pixel_ratio = 1:1

[save_file]
show_file_format_doesnt_support_alert = false
default_extension = ase
show_export_animation_in_sequence_alert = false

[jpeg]
show_alert = false

[RecentFiles]
Filename00 = []

[RecentPaths]
Path00 = [x]

[color_bar]
fg_color = rgb{40,7,7,255}
bg_color = mask

[export_file]
animation_default_extension = png

[layout:options]
cursor_color = 0
checked_bg_color1 = 0
checked_bg_color2 = 0
grid_color = 0
pixel_grid_color = 0
layer_edges_color = 0
auto_guides_color = 0
default_slice_color = 0

[LayerProperties]
WindowPos = 261 329 358 158

[layout:paste_text]
font_color = 0

[text_tool]
font_face = C:\Windows\Fonts\AGENCYB.TTF
font_size = 20
antialias = true

[tool.blur.brush]
size = 8

[tool.jumble.brush]
size = 8

[advanced_mode]
show_alert = false

[tool.paint_bucket]
contiguous = false

[tool.eraser.brush]
size = 4

[theme]
selected = Minimal Dark HD

[bg]
color1 = rgb{6,43,40,255}
color2 = rgb{6,43,40,255}

[tool.pencil.brush]
type = 1
size = 10

[editor]
right_click_mode = 0

[SpriteSize]
WindowPos = 850 406 220 298
Method = 0

[layout:frame_tag_properties]
color = 0

[ColorCurve]
WindowPos = 858 471 205 168
Preview = true

[layout:user_data]
color = 0

It looks like all your options are at their defaults, like this file has never been written. Check that the file and the directory it’s in aren’t marked Read Only. It looks like your recent files list is empty in this file, is it also empty in Aseprite when you open it?

You could add timeline_layer_panel_width = 400 or whatever width you want to start with to the ini, in the [general] section manually. Even if it doesn’t get saved, at least you’ll have that as a default width like you asked for.

I changed the recent files to be empty manually before posting here, but yes, they work as expected. The config file does not have the Read Only option checked, but the folder itself has a “-” sign next to Read Only and if I change it to empty, it simply reverts back to this sign, so maybe this could be a problem, but the recent files work fine so not sure.

Unfortunately though, inserting timeline_layer_panel_width = 400 under [general] didn’t change the layer name width. Thinking if there are any other options for this. If not, may have to revisit this issue later on.

Thanks for your input though!