How do I animate a wavey effect?

Hey, I made this background for one of my animations and wanted to know if there was a way to animate it as a wavey effect?

Thanks

Im trying to get it to look like Earthbound battle backgrounds if you know what I mean

Can you post a video of this specific earthbound fight sequence you are looking to emulate

Sure, its not the same pattern but the effect is pretty much the same - just any way to give it a wavy effect. Is there a different software I can use to create an effect like this? I imagine doing it pixel by pixel would be super hard

I dont think there is a way to do anything like that in aseprite, you might want to see if any other programs like gimp or photoshop can help with this

You’d have to script it, offsetting different rows (or columns) of pixels in each frame based on the time and position. It’s a simple sine wave effect. GIMP and PS don’t offer any built-in tool for it either. They have filters for the wave effect but still require manually applying them to each frame or via a script if you want an animation. So, you might as well just script the whole thing so you can iterate more easily.

If this is for a game, I recommend doing it in-engine, using e.g. a shader. That way you only need the one flat texture stored with your game and not every single frame of the animation, and gives you more flexibility with the amplitude, period, direction, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys!

David posted a Plasma Script Demo here that you might find helpful - https://twitter.com/davidcapello/status/1146574185617080320