How do you add/subtract hue/saturation from the color palette?

Hi,

I’ve been working largely in grayscale, and would like to modify the hue / saturation of multiple colors at once. Using the ‘Adjustments’ option isn’t working because it appears to be multiplicative. Since the hue/saturation of grayscale is zero, those values don’t change using the adjuster. Changing the value does work, though.

Is there any way to add/subtract a constant amount of hue/saturation from multiple colors in an indexed color palette?

Thanks!

1 Like

I found this: Imgur: The magic of the Internet, but it doesn’t seem like the relative option is present anymore

Hi @Peter, the option has changed to another place: Edit > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation…

You can also select a set of colors in the color bar and use the Adjust Hue/Saturation to change only a set of color palette entries.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I tried. It doesn’t modify the hue/saturation of grayscale (hue/saturation = 0) colors, though.

1 Like

I’ve since switched from grayscale to using a color palette with a a slight amount of hue / saturation. Now I’m able to use the HSL adjuster to adjust the colors.

1 Like

I’ve been wrestling with this concept for a while now and now I think I understand what I/other people are asking for regarding the Edit > Adjust Hue/Saturation control.

By default, this tool doesn’t adjust hue/saturation of grayscale colors. This is how it works in Photoshop as well (yes, I’m aware it’s rather unfair to compare Aseprite to Photoshop but bear with me). In Photoshop, if you want to add color to grayscale shades, you can check the “Colorize” box. This causes all the colors being currently edited to assume the same hue/saturation values (Absolute instead of Relative) while Lightness remains relative: creating many various shades of the same hue/saturation.

This feature is super helpful for taking grayscale shades (metals, clothing, weapons, stones, walls, etc.) and changing them to shades of color. It’s so common in pixel art to want to create a new set of color shades from grayscale values that it’d definitely make for a helpful feature.

4 Likes

Seconded, this is what I’ve been looking for ^