How long does compilation take? (Stuck on ninja aseprite)

I don’t know if I’m just being too anxious but it’s been about half an hour to an hour since the command prompt moved. It’s just stopped at “[989/1501] Generating color_curve_point.xml.h” I can’t find any posts regarding this and if it’s normal that it stops there for a long time. I do hope I didn’t do anything wrong as I’m so close to the end!

I’m using Windows with Skia plus Clang. I’m trying to compile Aseprite v1.2.11. I’m really new to all of this so I apologize if the question might seem stupid. I hope my question gets answered! Thank you.

It should generally not take that long. Maybe 15 minutes at most? Not entirely sure, it’s been a while since I compiled. I’d start over, delete the files generated in the build folder, and try again.

Remember to do the

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\Tools\VsDevCmd.bat" -arch=x64

line if you’ve reopened the command prompt.

1 Like

I see. I’m now at my sixth attempt and the highest number I got was in the 4th attempt: [1027/1501] Generating pref.xml.h I waited for a while and restarted again. I can’t exactly pinpoint where I went wrong but each reboot I would:

delete remaining files in the build folder
boot up the command prompt and put in your reminder
cd C:\aseprite\build
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -DLAF_OS_BACKEND=skia -DSKIA_DIR=C:\deps\skia -DSKIA_OUT_DIR=C:\deps\skia\out\Release -G Ninja …
ninja aseprite

Different results everytime; different numbers to get stuck on. Should I just restart everything from Skia compilation or should I just keep trying this process? Thanks.

Update: I have tried it from the start; recompiled Skia too. I think I did something wrong the first time but here are the results for the Skia compiling:

Done. Made 38 targets from 22 files in 293ms
C:\deps\skia>ninja -C out/Release skia
ninja: Entering directory `out/Release’
[912/912] link skia.lib

Build folder:

Skia dir: C:/deps/skia
– Configuring done
– Generating done
– Build files have been written to: C:/aseprite/build

Aseprite compiling stuck at:

[991/1501] Generating despeckle.xml.h

At this point, I don’t know. I will try again to do it from the start but if that doesn’t work again… I don’t know.

Note: I followed all the steps in the install.md and I don’t know what to do. I left the command prompt running this time while I slept but it didn’t move still.

Hallelujah! I redownloaded everything and reinstalled everything. I realized I must have skipped this part

git clone --recursive https://github.com/aseprite/aseprite.git

at the start. So I did that and I didn’t run into any problems. I followed all the steps in the install.md and voila! Compilation successful. Thank you for this! I’m definitely gonna buy it when I get some allowance!