How to change UI font?

As much as I love pixelart, I find the default Aseprite font really difficult to work with. Is there any way to change it to a normal ttf font (preferably a system one)? Looking at the themes repository I see that some of the themes use a normal font so it must be possible somehow. Not sure whether that matters but I’m on Linux.

1 Like

I’m not sure this will work, but try going into your \Aseprite\data\fonts folder, then make a copy of fonts.xml (for backup) then change these two:

<font name="Aseprite"
        type="spritesheet"
        file="aseprite_font.png">
    <fallback font="Unicode" size="8" />
  </font>

<font name="Aseprite Mini"
        type="spritesheet"
        file="aseprite_mini.png">
    <fallback font="Unicode" size="6" />
  </font>

to

<font name="Aseprite"
        type="truetype"
        file="Arial.ttf" >
    <fallback font="Unicode" size="8" />
  </font>

<font name="Aseprite Mini"
        type="truetype"
        file="Arial.ttf" >
    <fallback font="Unicode" size="6" />
  </font>

Might have to specify a font size but i’m not sure how, maybe just file=“Arial.ttf” size=“8” and “6” for mini

1 Like

That indeed changes the font to a different one, but instead of being smooth the font is pixelated:

a

This is probably because your UI scale is set to 2x is more instead of 1x.

I have the default settings, i.e. Screen Scaling 200% and UI Elements Scaling 100%. If I change Screen Scaling to 100% the interface is so small it is practically unusable - which defeats the purpose of changing the font.

What happens if you set screen scaling to 100% and interface scaling to 200%? And maybe try different font sizes in the config file?

1 Like

Win! Everything looks good now. Thank you so much!

a1

As for setting the sizes in fonts.xml file, these don’t seem to have any effect.

2 Likes

Ooh, that does look pretty nice.

Indeed, it does. I hope that a future version of Aseprite gets an option to customize UI font in a more sane way.

2 Likes

Hi,

Where do I find the fonts.xml on Linux?

Found it.

/usr/share/aseprite/data/fonts/