Moving things while snapping on grid

moveme

The reason I came up with this is that there is a moment when I have to scroll things constantly, frame by frame.

For example, in order to scroll background 10 pixels each per frame, need to select background and move 10 pixels precisely, (or tap arrow key 10 times) for each frame.

This is tedious, so I wish if I am able to move things with snapping on grid.

2 Likes

Just bought Asesprite and came here to comment on this. I don’t understand why snap to grid doesn’t work with move features. Whenever I’m using snap to grid, it’s usually because I’m making a tilemap and I want to copy a tile over or line it up somewhere in the sprite. I can’t even imagine a situation where I’d want to draw while snapping to grid.

This is the reason the snap to grid function exists for pixel artists and it’s how it works in Photoshop. Why doesn’t it work this way in Aseprite?

Hi there! You can use the Alt key modifier to snap to grid the selection when you are dragging it.

We might enable the snap to grid of the selection by default when the “Snap to Grid” option is enabled, but at the moment using the Alt key should do the snapping (even when the “Snap to Grid” is disabled).

4 Likes

Glad I found this post! I thought snapping to grid when moving just wasn’t possible, but glad it is with ALT. Aseprite is fantastic btw :slight_smile: digging a lot.

3 Likes

I’m surprised this isn’t the default when I enabled “snap to grid”. Alt didn’t work for me.

For Mac users it’s CMD + Alt. (Unless I modified my keymap and forgot…)

Also useful for Mac users: for Duplicate + Snap while dragging it’s CTRL + ALT.

Took me a while to figure that one out. Hope this helps someone else!

1 Like

I just registered here to say thank you for that hint.
Changed my working with Aseprite completely.

1 Like