Onion skin upgrade

Hi guys, since onion skin is about showing the previous or next frame, is it possible to upgrade it and get AI to create instead a completed image for you for the previous or next frame? That is, without you creating it yourself. The AI will just get the hint from your original design and take it from there to create what would be possible movements for the previous or next frames. If you input 6 frame animation, the AI will try to come up with 5 best possible movements based on your initial image.

There are scripts to interpolate between frames (and some of these can be enhanced with AI), but I don’t think there’s any AI that will straight-up create frames from a single frame of animation, as opposed to interpolating between hand-drawn frames that already exist. A single frame just doesn’t give an AI enough to work with. Even a skilled human animator wouldn’t be able to do that without additional information, like the type of movement it’s meant to be.

Perhaps an AI could be trained to generate animations of a particular type from a base image (e.g. “make this bipedal sprite walk”), but this would at best be an external project you could access in Aseprite via a script.

1 Like

It’s like, I created a character on an idle pose, then when I click the upgraded onion skin (next), instead of showing an image which I had drawn, the AI will show me an image THE AI ITSELF CREATED or “suggested” is a reasonable next frame based on the generic character movements…I mean, 6 frames, 3 frames, 8 frames, usually have generic poses or movements, so that’s where the AI will base its suggestions.

maybe not as advanced as this, just the basic movements.

I understand the concept here, but I’m not sure if you really grasp how intensely huge of an idea that is… If you’re asking for a computer to animate things for you, you might need to wait 10 more years.

My honest recommendation would be… and this’ll sound kinda brutal, don’t be so lazy lol.

There are all kinds of great tips and guides out there to help improve your animation workflow, to help you more quickly prototype and iterate through the ideas you have without feeling so stuck trying to pose the pieces you have and get stuck on details.

The other thing to note is that, depending on what your project actually ends up being, there are a lot better animation tools than Aseprite. Like if that character you have there is the example, you can actually animate him very easily using Unity and their awesome new 2D joint system.

4 Likes