Pixelart with Milimetric Sheet

Hi, good day.

I make one of my characters in pixelart using this milimetric sheets, them I use it in a reference layer :3

3 Likes

Welcome to the Aseprite forums!
That’s an interesting technique, never thought of using millimteric sheets for pixel art concepts. But then again when it comes to pixel art I don’t really make concepts, I start directly with the pixels…

1 Like

In my case is a little more easy draw in the sheet and try to assing the pixels later.

3 Likes

Sprites WIP for my NESMaker project.

3 Likes

So you’re basically using pen and paper as an outline, or another art style, before adapting it into pixel form. Cool.

1 Like

That looks cool!
How exactly do you align the paper grid to the pixel grid in Aseprite?

1 Like

:blush: Thanks, Im glad that you like it. Yes, because in this moment I’m a little better drawing PixelArt on paper than on the computer directly.

:blush: Thanks, It’s not as complicated as you might imagine

:one: I first Scan the Sheet,
:two: then I crop it (in my case I use GIMP, but you can use the graphic editor program that you want),
:three: Because NES sprites are made in 8 pixels multiples, I crop it using that proportion, every square in the sheet equal to 1 pixel,
:four: Then I make a new document in Aseprite with that size (16x32 in this case),
and when imported as a reference layer, it adjusts automatically

:sweat_smile: Obviously, not all the lines made with the pencil will be in an exact pixel, you just have to draw on it as best you can trying to follow the shape of the drawing in the reference. :+1:

6 Likes