We all know PNGs don’t support layers – Asesprite nags me every time I try to export to PNG when using layers. But what I didn’t expect was Asesprite ignores layer transparency when “squashing” layers during PNG export. This makes PNG export kinda useless if you ever use non-opaque layers.
- Create a new layer, put a lovely red balloon on it.
- Create a new layer above that.
- Draw solid-white highlights on the balloon, then decrease the opacity of the highlights layer to, say, 50%.
- Export to PNG and to GIF.
- Expected: PNG and GIF look the same, and both have light red highlights on the balloon.
- Actual: The highlights on the PNG are 100% solid white, instead of light red. The highlights on the GIF match what I expect and what the editor shows.