Problems with Compiling Aseprite on Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6

Hi:slightly_smiling_face:,

I am new to this forum, and this is my first post so I hope I do it correctly. Also, I am not natively English speaking, so there might be a few spelling errors.

Background Information
I make pixel art, because I like it, and I am quite good at it. I have made pixel art for over 2 years now, and have made ±1000 sprites. (Most of them are really bad.) Until now, I have only used PiskelApp.com, which is really good for beginners, but as I got better, I felt quite limited, I then discovered Aseprite, and I really liked the extra features that Aseprite had over PiskelApp.com, So I decided to compile it.

I am running on a 24" iMac from 2009 (without a Retina Display) with Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6 as the Operating System.

According to the Mac OS dependencies on GitHub, you can only compile Aseprite for Mac OS on Mac OS Sierra 10.12, this is not really an issue because I can upgrade to Mac OS High Sierra 10.13, but I like Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6 much better.

Compilation
After a successful compilation of Skia, I started with compiling Aseprite.

This is what I did:

Last login: Fri Jun 29 16:33:09 on ttys000
Administrators-iMac:~ prashant$ cd $HOME/Aseprite
Administrators-iMac:Aseprite prashant$ mkdir build
Administrators-iMac:Aseprite prashant$ cd $HOME/Aseprite/build
Administrators-iMac:build prashant$ cmake\
> -DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=x86_64 \
> -DCMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7 \
> -DCMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk \
> -DUSE_ALLEG4_BACKEND=OFF \
> -DUSE_SKIA_BACKEND=ON \
> -DSKIA_DIR=$HOME/deps/skia \
> -DWITH_HarfBuzz=OFF \
> -G Ninja \
> ..
-bash: cmake-DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=x86_64: command not found
Administrators-iMac:build prashant$ ninja aseprite
-bash: ninja: command not found
Administrators-iMac:build prashant$ 

Does anyone know what I have to do to get it to work?
Thanks in Advance!:slight_smile:

@dacap Maybe you can help me? You seem the only one here who also replies to posts.

Add a space after cmake (it is not cmake\, but cmake \).

@dacap I tried it again, this time with a space before the slash. This is what happened:

Administrators-iMac:~ prashant$ cd $HOME/Aseprite
Administrators-iMac:Aseprite prashant$ mkdir build
mkdir: build: File exists
Administrators-iMac:Aseprite prashant$ cd $HOME/Aseprite/build
Administrators-iMac:build prashant$ cmake \
> -DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=x86_64 \
> -DCMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7 \
> -DCMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk \
> -DUSE_ALLEG4_BACKEND=OFF \
> -DUSE_SKIA_BACKEND=ON \
> -DSKIA_DIR=$HOME/deps/skia \
> -DWITH_HarfBuzz=OFF \
> -G Ninja \
> ..
-bash: cmake: command not found
Administrators-iMac:build prashant$ 

Still doesn’t work, it says that the cmake command is not found.

Sounds like you haven’t installed cmake, or haven’t configured your PATH environment variable to point to the place where you installed cmake. To install cmake, you could use a package manager like MacPorts or Homebrew, or you could get it directly from its developers at Download | CMake