Question about the blur tool

Hello,

I would like to try out the blur tool, but for some reason I can not hold it down and “paint” the blur onto a larger area. The only way I can use it at the moment is by clicking to blur, which feels really awkward. Is this how it’s supposed to work or am I missing something? Thank you for your time.

That doesn’t seem right. I can drag to “paint” blur just fine. I can’t reproduce the behaviour you’re describing.

Are you perhaps using a brush with a pattern? Perhaps the pattern’s making the blurring around the centre of the brush not happen.
I also thought perhaps brush dynamics might have something to do with it, but I couldn’t find a combination of options that specifically broke on movement.

What version of Aseprite are you using? Could you post a screenshot of your blur tool settings?

Thank you for the reply eishiya. I’m using version 1.2.25-x64. I’m a complete beginner with pixel art and Aseprite, so I didn’t even realize that I can adjust the settings for the blur tool. Now that I found the settings, I managed to get the blur tool working the way I wanted. The problem was that I had all the dynamics settings deselected. When I enabled the gradient setting under mouse velocity, I got the tool to work like expected. Thank you for the help and for your time.

Glad you got it fixed!

However, that’s still strange, my Blur works as expected even with all the dynamics options off. With dynamics disabled, it should just apply the full-strength blur wherever you’re pressing, i.e. work as expected. Does the brush tool work correctly even with dynamics off? The two should work the same…

Perhaps they’re referring to the behavior where no matter how much you move your cursor over the same area, it will not blur more than the first pass if you don’t release and click again.

I’ve seen image programs that behave this way, so it could have been their expectation.

1 Like