Sprite Sheet Import

Most Sprite Sheet Exporters support putting gaps between the individual sprites but the aesprite sprite sheet importer doesnt account for that or have a way of importing sprite sheets with gaps between the sprites of a fixed or irregular size.

One work around is to put the initial x offset to be negative, but that still doesnt help with irregular gap sizes.

In addition the sprite sheet importer doesnt have a way to filter out tiles with nothing in them other than manually deleting them.

Ideally, the sprite sheet importer should just detect continuous non transparent pixels as sprites and either let the width and height be variable to fit each one or just center them in bounds based on the largest sprite in the sheet. Thats how it works in Unity’s sprite sheet importer at least.

2 Likes

I’m considering making a contribution to the code base myself based on a feature I implemented about ten years ago as the main draw of Kinesis Animator which my fellow sprite artists loved: if you just select a background color, the algorithm can automatically find and separate the sprites. I actually just joined the forum here to see if that’s a feature that would be appreciated… I wasn’t aware (but I did figure) that this very simple feature existed in other software by now. :stuck_out_tongue: It does need to allow some user intervention before the import completes in the case that pixels in a sprite aren’t fully connected.
Approximating alignment of frames would be pretty easy by just averaging the locations of all the opaque pixels in a sprite.

2 Likes