Tilemap layers don't respect transparent index

It’s plausible that I’m doing something wrong, but it seems to me that tilemap layers don’t respect the transparent index setting. The first (transparent) tile always uses the colour at index 0 even if the sprite settings denote a different colour as transparent.

So if you’re working in Auto mode you can’t fully paint a tile with the colour at index 0, because as soon as you do, the tile gets merged into the transparent tile and effectively erased.

Hi @Menderbug, I’m testing and it looks like it’s working, e.g.:

Transparent index = 4:

Transparent index = 0:

And exporting (File > Export) both images will result in the expected results respectively:

Hmm, I must be doing something else wrong then. I’ll look into it some more and try to send you a file to reproduce the issue.

Actually, I just had another look at your screenshots and maybe my explanation wasn’t entirely clear. In the case where the transparent index is 4, can you paint a tile fully black without it becoming transparent afterwards? Though I suspect yes, because I’m noticing a difference between your screenshot and what I was seeing yesterday: when I had the transparent index at a nonzero value, the 0-index tile still used the 0-index colour.