Tree growing process

Any criticism is ok for the work <3

3 Likes

The character looks fun, but the body and hair are a little odd. You can use Shift + H to flip the canvas and see what it looks like from a different angle. Depending on the style you want, you may want to make the body a little thinner and the hair less segmented. The highlights on the trees could be a bit brighter, and all the greens could be shifted slightly to give the trees more pop!

Here is one example of a character I made (might redesign in the future). As you can see the outlines for the different parts are different colors and the shoulders area is highly considered so in this one I don’t make it blocky.

Another thing to consider is that if this is for a game you need to be able to see the character living in the world as well… a character, so it is important to make the face and body work together seamlessly with the worlds shading to create a consistent style. On that note does the character have a name?

Bonus section: I liked your art enough that I wanted to try making a similar character with overalls keeping in mind the trees shading and trying a similar style of shading.

1 Like

Thank you for criticism! We haven’t thought any name for the character. I love your references. They are so cute and professional. My idea was creating characters like pokemon pixel game style. I have finished character already. It is 8 sided character and it has already 8-9 different animations from different angles. It would be suicide for us to edit the character now. I will be looking for tree adjustments as you suggested. I worked on one different tree but I don’t like the highlight on the tree that lighter color. That’s why i made this one less highlight :stuck_out_tongue:

I appreciate the adjustments you made, especially the shading on the tree. My only feedback left concerns the grass. Its highlights and shadows are too similar to the original color, making it appear lime green when you squint. It also could be wise to consider adding flowers or slightly different tiles to add variety. Either way, it is looking good!

Although the grass here stands out a bit too much(or there is too much grass), here is the scene using the tree’s colors, for example:

1 Like