UserData enhancements

It would be useful if the UserData fields were several lines long and could be associated with both the Sprite as a whole, and Tags.

This would make it very easy for game engines to parse standalone aseprite files as part of their pipeline, without the need for additional metadata. For example, tags could then have “goto” values or looping parameters. Sprites could then have metadata useful for game rendering.

In regards to the file spec, I think Tag UserData could be added the same way as any other kind of UserData by following the Tag Chunk. Sprites may be a bit more tricky, but it might work if the first UserData in the file isn’t after any other chunks, it’s associated with the Sprite as a whole?

6 Likes

Seconding this. I’d really appreciate at least having userdata in frames, having them everywhere with multiline edit area would be great.

1 Like

Yes - I would love to have multiline box for userdata too :slight_smile:

I’d love that too, it will definitely improve the script exporting pipeline a lot.

Agreed. I feel like it would improve my life 10x if I could write something like this custom data for animation tags, for example:

looped=false
origin=(16,32)

(or even a proper JSON)
instead of looped=false,origin=(16,32) in one line

Hi there :wave: this feature is planned, but not yet implemented yet (not even started), probably related to a text tool and others features.

Hey, is there any update on this? I would love to have looped and origin data in my tags so I don’t have to manually add to my Json files every time I export.