Wacom Intuos vs. IPad

I’m new to Aseprite but I’m loving it so far.

I have a quick question and I’ll apologize in advance if this has already been covered on this forum. Here goes:

Can I use my iPad as a drawing tablet for my MacBook Pro with the Aseprite program?

Alternatively, I’m considering buying an Intuos tablet. Would that work? Would it work better?

Thanks!

There is a program called Duet that lets you sync an iPad as a drawing tablet, you can try that.

Just be aware that it can cause some issues in certain games, but if something stops launching then you just need to uninstall Duet and it’s fixed, but I think that’s mostly a windows issue.

An Intuos would work for sure. I can’t tell you if it would work better or worse, I think that might depend on your iPad, but that’s what a lot of professional artists use.

Aseprite has no pen pressure support, so the only benefits from a tablet would be the alternate pointer control and any hotkeys you get built into the tablet (which is none on an iPad, but you do get some on an Intuos).

Since the benefits are so small, I don’t recommend buying an Intuos unless you also plan to use it in other drawing programs that can make fuller use of its features.

If you have the iPad already, then it’s worth trying out! You might like working that way, you might not, it depends a lot on your working style and the type of pixel art you make. For some kinds of pixel art, a mouse is the ideal tool.

Edit: Aseprite has since added pressure sensitivity support. While a tablet is far from necessary for pixel art, it does allow one to work faster, especially while sketching.

I’ve had a XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro graphic pen display and it works well with Aseprite program.