What does v1.x-dev version mean?

Hey guys! Could someone explain to me what this v1.x-dev version would be? Would it be equivalent to v1.3-beta7 (most current at the moment) or would it be more up to date than beta, like a development release? I compiled it this week and the version that appears when I click “about” is v1.x-dev and I don’t understand which exact version I installed. Thank you in advance for your help.ase

This is always the version number when you compile it locally from a git clone instead of getting it from the pre-built paid sources. It will always say 1.x-dev when you compile yourself the way it’s set up right now unless you go in and edit some build files yourself. This means you can’t tell from 1.x-dev which version you have. The way you tell which version you have is at the point that you download the aseprite source.

Edit: It looks like you download the release zips instead of git cloning, the version number is set. so downloading from the releases page is a good way to avoid this problem.

1 Like

The thing is that when you compile the app from the source code they cannot know which stage of the code you are compiling it from so they set the version as a generic version v1.x-dev.

What I did was to checkout the release tag on GitHub git checkout tags/v1.2.37 -b v1.2.37 and changed the line src/ver/CMakeLists.txt:5 to specify which the version v1.2.37 manually.

1 Like