Aseprite deleted several days' worth of work and there wasn't anything I could do about it

As the title explains, I saved my animation, as anyone would, then shut off my PC. I come back the next day and open my project only to find that the frames I added throughout the days prior were still there but there was zero frame data in any of them. Days’ worth of work gone for literally no reason.
The only explanation I get is “Warning: Unsupported chunk type 0 (skipping)”. Believe me, I’ve scoured the internet for quite a while now and no one seems to have had this issue. There was the occasional mention of said warning but none of them were remotely describing what happened to me.

I spent a lot of time on this and it’d destroy me to find out that all my efforts are permanently gone and that there was nothing I could do about it. Please, if anyone has any idea what’s going on, tell me what I can do to get my frames back. The data recovery log hasn’t helped. This is too much to let go to waste.

Hi there @sys_reboot, did you try using the Recover Files option? We’ve also received your email, I’ll take a look right now to check if I can recover your session.

I saw that you are using a pretty old version of Aseprite too (v1.2.6), I would recommend you to update it to the latest one (v1.2.25). Anyway there might be some issues with your hard disk too, a common problem on Windows which was fixed on v1.2.7, quoting the release notes:

Aseprite v1.2.7 […]

• Possible fixes for Windows 10 problems:
    • Saving files when turning off the computer (t/31)

Huge thanks for the reply! The file recovery option was the first thing I tried - which I think I referenced incorrectly in the original post. Thanks for checking my email, I was prepared to be met with silence.

Hi there,

I’ve got exactly the same message with empty frames instead of my work =(

The console says “Warning: Unsupported chunk type 0 (skipping)” 3x times