Aseprite interface font?

This is probably a message straight for @dacap
And that is – what is that cool font you used in the Aseprite interface, did you create it? Is it available? Is it free?
Is it actually somewhere in the app’s files and usable in the Text tool and I am just too dumb to notice??

Thx&luv ya<3

1 Like

Hi @Glitcher, the font actually was created by me. It’s distributed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License and you can find it here.

It’s a pity but actually you cannot use the font from the “Insert Text” command, something I’d like to fix in future versions.

3 Likes

Is there a way to install that font on Windows? Or to use it on Aseprite at least?

Not at the moment :sob: something I’ve to fix soon (I would like to add an easy way to convert sprite sheet fonts <-> TTF)

3 Likes

Did I understood correctly? Do you plan to add to Aseprite the possibility to convert “sprite sheet fonts” to and from “TTF”?? That would be a dream come true for me! :smiley:

3 Likes

Actually, I made a ttf of @dacap’s font that he made for Aseprite. I manually created his font using BitFont Maker’s website. Took me a while to copy the font pixel by pixel. If he doesn’t mind, I can share it with you or even get him to put it on his github :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

i would very much appreciate it if you shared that ttf version, as long as dacap doesnt mind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, thank you very much @haloflooder, that would be great! :smiley:
I hope @dacap gives you permission so you can share it with us :smiley:

I never answer this, but sure @JJHaggar, you can share that font! :smile: I could include it in the official release so people can use it too if you want.

2 Likes

That would be great @dacap, thanks!! :smiley:

Not at the moment :sob: something I’ve to fix soon (I would like to add an easy way to convert sprite sheet fonts ↔ TTF)

It’s my understanding that most TrueType based font formats are strictly using vectors, right? How would you accomplish that without tons of blurring? Do correct me if I’m wrong. I’m very curious to see how this turns out.

…Although, I would personally get far more use out of PCF files, rather than TTF.

EDIT: Agh, Firefox even eats my no-break spaces as input……

Will this be worked on sometime in the future? The text option is pretty much useless for pixel art because all the ttf fonts get blurred and look extremely ugly. Adding the ability to use bitmap fonts like from BMFont would be awesome.

Currently I have to copy each character by hand into a aseprite image.

http://www.angelcode.com/products/bmfont/

@haloflooder , since Dacap gave permission, could you please share the aseprite ttf font? Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Sure thing! Here is the Normal Aseprite Font. I haven’t made the “mini” version yet since I personally didn’t need it but if someone wants it. I can quickly whip it up in a few minutes.

5 Likes

Thank you very much!! :smiley: :smiley:
Also, that would be great! :smiley:

Thank you very much for the font.

Just a note: the font is not useable at all in the interface because of these problems:

1. The ascender is WAY too high (~750) which ends with a TINY font in the UI. If you change it for a safer number (390) then it’s (at least) useable.
  2. There’s a problem with the line spacing and the text is moved down. Don’t know how to fix it.
  3. There’s a problem with the underlining (it dissapears) used to indicate the hotkeys. I tried to reduce the distance in the font info (using FontForge) but with no luck.

That is one bombing font. I absolutely adore it!

3 Likes

If you haven’t already, I’d very much appreciate it if you made a TTF file for the Mini Aseprite font. Thank you in advance.

Ayo, sorry for the late reply. I’ve been swamped with work lately but you can do it yourself very easily! Instead of extracting the font from the application. I just manually drew the font using something like this tool.

2 Likes

Here is aseprite font i recently found Aseprite Remix | FontStruct

1 Like