Create an orbit

So im new to using aseprite and im really loving it so far. For my current project im trying to create a looping sun/moon orbit around a central point on my art but im curious if theres a way i can do that without moving it every single frame. Is there a way i can just simply choose a path and set custom durations or will i have to set it up frame by frame for simple movement?

Hey, @Noki . The following script might be just what youā€™re looking forā€¦

Hope this helps.

1 Like

@Blue thank you I will give that a try. I did not know that scripts existed like this! Is it possible to have the path go off screen do you know?

Iā€™m not sure if the script will let you move objects off screen, although itā€™s worth a shot. If you canā€™t make it work, however, I would approach it in the following wayā€¦

1. Making sure my canvas is large enough to fit the whole motion path of my object(s).
  2. Create a border with a gap in the center thatā€™s my animationā€™s final canvas size. (e.g. - If I want my animation to be 32x32, but requires a 64x64 canvas to animate properly in Aseprite, Iā€™d make my canvas size 64x64, then add a border with a 32x32 gap in the center)
  3. Create my animation accordingly.
  4. Once Iā€™m happy with my animation, save the project file (so I can make adjustments to it later if needed).
  5. Crop out the border when Iā€™m ready to export it.

Iā€™m not sure if a simpler method exists, but thatā€™s how Iā€™d work around the problem. If something Iā€™ve said isnā€™t entirely clear, please let me know.

@Blue so i have downloaded and i am trying it out. i think this will work except i think i am misunderstanding something. when i animate it it jsut keeps jumping around the circular path but its not going smoothly. is there a youtube tutorial or something that i could get linked to find an in-depth instructions?

@Noki I donā€™t know of any YouTube tutorials off the top of my head, so youā€™ll have to search yourself. However, I can make a test file for you to study from. Look over the layers closely to see how I set them up.

These are the settings I used for the script itself:
Script_Settings
(Edit: Thereā€™s more information about how the script works if you click that ā€œ?ā€ box in the window)

And this is the animation I end up with:
Animation

Thereā€™s more information on the script at the following page: Path Animator Script by Gasparoken
Beyond that, itā€™ll be a matter of trial-and-error. Good luck to you, just play around with it and youā€™ll get it soon enough. :+1:

1 Like

@Blue my animation isnt going smoothly like taht. it keeps jumping around from spot to spot on the circle orbit in a triangle with the top tip being the start position. im doing as you showed and i have looked for
sun
this is whats happening

Can you upload a copy of your Aseprite file that I can look at? There could be several reasons why itā€™s jerky like that (frame duration, path object not being drawn properly, etc.).

@Blue i can but how do i go about doing that? it wont allow me to upload anything but a jpg, gif etc