Filename format bug?

I have a little doubt about the filename-format.

I’m using version 1.3 beta 16.
For example, a document that had: two layers (layer1, layer2) and one tag (walk) of 2 frames.

If I have not misunderstood if I write:
Hero-{layer}-{tag}-{tagframe}.png
In the Output File field of the Export window, it should export this:

hero-layer1-walk-0
hero-layer1-walk-1
hero-layer2-walk-0
hero-layer2-walk-1

But the problem is that everything works except {layer} and what I get is:

Hero–walk-0
Hero–walk-1

At first I thought it was because of the layer groups, but it happens just the same without groups.

Is this a bug or am I not understanding how it works?

If it is a bug, I would like to know what would happen in the case of using layer folders? would one png be exported for each layer in the folder or just one per folder?

Thank you and sorry if my English is not very clear.

hi, Cannabik!
it seems to me that splitting file by layers will (or should) work only for CLI, like in the example shown here: Aseprite - Docs - Cli
i think that’s because when exporting from aseprite, you have to select the option to export all visible layers, selected layers or specific layer. i may be wrong though.
but theoretically you should at least get the name of the layer included when using {layer}. so that does seem to be a bug.
anyway, try CLI first to check if that works for you.
alternatively, you can also try to use the script: [Script] Export sprite's layers separately - #14 by Gaspi
although i think that will only export layers to sprites, not sequences of files. so you may need to convert those.

1 Like

Hi Olga_Galvanova
Thank you so much for your answer!

I’m sorry I didn’t answer earlier, but I haven’t been able to test the CLI until now, and although it’s been difficult for me to understand it, in the end I managed to get it to work.

But there is something that I don’t quite understand (I’ll use the documentation example to simplify it but adding tag and tagframe)

If I use the line of code as it is in the documentation:

aseprite -b animation-with-layers.ase --filename-format ‘{path}/{title}-{layer}-{tag}-{tagframe}.{extension}’ --save-as output.png

The same thing happens as before, the layer does not appear:

output–Tag-0.png
output–Tag-1.png

but if I use this line everything works perfect.

aseprite -b animation-with-layers.ase --save-as output-{layer}-{tag}-{tagframe}.png

output-Layer1-Tag-0.png
output-Layer1-Tag-1.png
output-Layer2-Tag-0.png
output-Layer2-Tag-1.png

I don’t know if this makes any sense to you or not, the truth is that I’m terrible at using the console.

The only thing that would be missing is that there is something like {layerGroup} or something like that, that only takes out the group of layers, but this does not exist, right?

Anyway, thank you very much for everything!

1 Like

interesting, the fact the {layer} gets omitted in the example from documentation suggests there indeed is something broken.

has this been reported to github? I assume it has been reproduced?