HSL color wheel

hi there, i’d like to have another colour wheel which has 50% gray at its center.
like this:
HSL-clr-wheel
the reason is simple:
when you mix two complementary colours, you get 50% gray. the colour wheel above simulates that behaviour.

i do understand that our current RGB colour wheel offers full control over HSV model: angle is hue, distance from center affects saturation and the slider below controls value.
however, the issue with center being gray can be solved by making the slider below colour wheel not V but L. that would ensure users can always go from full black to full white.

4 Likes

hello Olga! Did you find a way to turn the center gray?

hi, Nico. the center will get grey according to value you set, but it will darken the edges as well, so this is me asking for a new feature, as there’s no colour wheel like this in the aseprite at the moment.

1 Like

Hi @Nico,

fwiw, I save a custom wheel to an .aseprite file then use drag and drop tabs to put it side by side with the sprite I’m working on. Then I switch to the eyedropper with the keyboard shortcut I to pick a color. For gamut masking, the linked feature in the original post, I suppose you could use selection tools like the polygonal lasso.

Each frame is a separate lightness, so moving left or right acts like the light adjustment slider.

animOkhslWheel conventHslWheel3

The left is an Okhsl wheel; the right is traditional HSL. Not sure if the color will get crunched in the images above (.webps originally), so exported sheets as .png are below.

There are a lot of color wheel possibilities (such as a custom RYB wheel) and minor variations within each (discrete or smooth wheel, angle offset for the starting hue, how quickly to desaturate as you move to the wheel’s center) so experiment to find which works best for you.

Best,
Jeremy

3 Likes