iOS / Android version

Oh just made a post asking about an iPad app for this. iPad are the way to go now for art. Mouse support and apple pencils. You can’t go wrong. I’d so be happy to buy the program again to get it on the iPad! At the moment I use sidecar with my MacBook and iPad and it works beautifully! Just wished there was an actual app for the iPad.

2 Likes

I recently bought Aseprite and have been using it mostly for designing some simple icons and tiles for Godot. I love this thing so far. I was curious about a possible iPad version and came to this thread originally to express my interest and support in it as well, but then I saw “tile map editor” and that really got my attention.

I wanted to ask, do you have plans to implement exporting said tile maps for e.g. Godot formats with appropriate bit masks for ease in game development speed/rapid prototyping? I’d been using (or trying to use) Tilesetter and while it works okay for being able to export, its UX is horrendous. I feel that a good tile editor would be a very nice combination of the way Pyxel allows one to create tile maps and plop them down on the canvas and the ability to export said tiles into an auto-tile format along with a bit mask so less time is spent setting things up in whatever game engine.

@dacap I am basically just waiting for this to come out for iOS to buy the iPad Pro. I basically do all my tilework in aseprite on a lenovo with a pen, but man windows 10 tablet mode is clunky. I understand that you want to make the tile editor a priority (I use Tiled and really like it) but do you think an iPad version is possible by the end of 2020? it would really make life much easier.

3 Likes

This is what I do too, I would far prefer to use an actaul tablet for pixel art work though.

1 Like

about the left and right click maybe u can use something like, when the user just press is left click and when the user press and hold its right click…

1 Like

@dacap as I mentioned before I’m using windows tablet mode and not sure this suggestion is helpful or not but it would be great if you could implement the following features

• allow the user to disable touch in the drawing area (i’m using a pen and my palm is constantly leaving stray pixels)
  • give the ability to move the timeline to the top, again my palm is doing bad things
  • give the ability to move the bottom bar to the top as well (same reasons)

I have a feeling these changes have made it into the ios build but if not I think they will be helpful

@dacap I was a UX/UI designer on Procreate for iPad for 4+ years. If I can be of service, let me know. I have an iPad Pro and Pencil 2 begging to be used on Aseprite.

2 Likes

Im happy to hear you’re working on an iOS version. Is there a newsletter or similar I can subscribe too to get notified when beta/release is available?

I would be interested to beta test the app on my iPad Pro! I’m really looking forward to the release!~

2 Likes

@dacap

FYI. As of the release of the Apple Magic Keyboard, there is also “point/click” functionality available on both the 11" and 12.9" iPad pro models… would that help with the expediency of getting this port?

Further, @Cam you’re amazing for offering to help. As someone who has been using Procreate since day 1, and loving every minute, I cant even imagine my life without it. And Im sure your experience would be a godsend for Aseprite.

2 Likes

No its not an ipad version. But Sidecar is an iPad feature that allows it to act as a secondary screen for a Mac. So you get the touch features, while using MacOS Apps. Sadly :expressionless: Not a direct iOS port.

Also totally been craving the iOS version. since my old tablet doesn’t work so well, I’ve shifted entirely over to the iPad.

Hey guys. I can’t wait for the aseprite iOS App :slight_smile:
How did you manage to run aseprite on the iPad without sidecar?
I have a bug in sidecar on Big Sur, so this is currently no option for me.

I’ve tried Sidecar out of desperation a few times but it’s just not a great UX. Hopefully a native iOS version will live up to the hype. It can’t come soon enough!

In the last three or four years and the absence of many non-iPad programs out there, I’ve been using Astropad for Aseprite, Photoshop, Gimp, etc. It doesn’t work for everything and takes some getting used to, but it allows me to use my iPad for the very purpose that I bought it, which is to draw. When I first got Astropad, I got the free version, but within a week, paid the $20 for the Pro? version, can’t remember exactly. There might be some cost to it now, more or less.

I want this too !!

1 Like

I know it’s not a priority but this thread actually being the #1 viewed on the whole forum says a lot about the actual demand for aseprite on iPad / tablet.

I hope it gets prioritized at some point.

2 Likes

Yes, do it, please. as a gameillustrator i need this desperately on my ipad.

I’ll lock this thread. There are plans to release an iOS version of Aseprite in the future. That’s all I can say.

1 Like