Is Aseprite 1.3's source code going to be put out?

I’m just wondering if the source code will be put out. Waiting for that sweet tileset update. Also, I’m not sure about this, but will I have to recompile? Thank you.

David has said that the sources will be released later (Aseprite v1.3-beta1 - #40 by dacap).

What are you planning to do with the sources that you might not need to recompile them?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, I just didn’t want to have to go through the process of recompiling them.

Then why do you want them?

Never mind, I’m stupid and worded things wrong. Asked if its possible to do something like paste the source code in the files I have now after I compiled it so I don’t have to do it again because my pc was starting to overheat when I first compiled it. I don’t know if you get what I’m saying…

You could but the uncompiled code would still be uncompiled and mixing uncompiled code into compiled binaries would only break your binaries.

When rebuilding you only need to recompile the files that have changed (which should be handled automatically by the build system), presuming you didn’t delete the intermediary files after your last build.

Why do you even want to compile it yourself? Are you using it on a platform that isn’t officially supported or modifying the sources? If not then why can’t you use the provided binaries?

Many people compile Aseprite because they can’t afford the cost of the binaries. They’re not expensive, but they’re not free either.

I’m doing everything completely legal and not modifying anything, I’m just broke. However, I still want to make sure I have the correct tools and resources to fulfill my dream in game development. Alright, I’ll stop replying now thanks for the info.