Paint a grayscale image

Suppose I have a grayscale image like this:

How can I paint this image brown so that it would look like wood, where the different grayscale colors would be different brown tones (e.g. the darker colors would be a darker brown)?

Sometimes I draw grayscale images, so I can paint them within Unity’s SpriteRenderer, that paints the whole image like I described above. Can aseprite do this somehow? I couldn’t find out, I think it would be a great feature, it would make much easier to test a lot of colors for different textures.

Thank you!

Hi @DcCoO, and welcome to Aseprite community! :smiley:

There are several ways of doing this, but I think that the best for what you want would be to create a second layer over your image (layer>new>new layer) and fill it with a plain color using the “paint bucket tool”, and then you can double click on that colored layer and change “mode” to “multiply” or “color”, you also can change the opacity of that layer so its effect is smaller.

And after that you can test all the colors you want using the paint bucket on that new layer. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done this several times but when I need to, I forget :disappointed_relieved:
Thank you @JJHaggar, this will do the trick!