Paste into multiple frames?

is there a way to paste into a range of frames ?

1 Like

I think there isn’t, sorry, but there are 2 “roundabouts” for this task.

-If the range of frames is small I usually just use the cursor arrows and the shortcut ctrl+v to paste faster.

-If the range is big, I usually paste into the first and last frame of the range, then I select all the frames, “right click > link cells” and finally “right click > unlink”.

I hope it helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll leave a link to this post with some methods to edit multiple frames:

1 Like

thanks for the reply

This is an acceptable workflow and this is what I’ve been doing, however this leads to another issue for me and I am unsure if I am overlooking something … when selecting a range of cells, is left-click-drag the only way ? this works fine for small ranges but often my animations get into the 300+ frame range and this becomes a tedious task. I haven’t stumbled upon a way to select all or a long range of cells without left clicking then manually moving through the timeline. That would be a very welcome addition.

1 Like

I totally agree, when the range is over 80 or so it’s already tedious, 300+ must be a nightmare ^^U

I’ve been looking if there was a way of selecting a range programatically using a script, but it seems that there still aren’t methods implemented for that in the Range class api/api/range.md at main · aseprite/api · GitHub (in fact, when i try to use that clas I only get an error: “attempt to index a nil value(global ´Range´)”).

Anyway, what did you need to select that range of cells for? Depending on the answer maybe you can just select the layer to do the work?

for example, i will try to break up the pattern of the loop so that if you sit and watch the animation for a while it is not just a ping-pong style animation , it feels more unpredictable. I try to have several loops going at different intervals so that they don’t line up the same way every time so it doesn’t just feel like a loop. I hand animate a lot but after hand animating a layer for 30 frames or so, i’ll cut-paste, reverse them, move cels, animate 15 more frames, copy paste, reverse , etc… until i have long loops that don’t follow a super noticeable pattern of back-forth-back-forth type pattern. Eventually i’m trying to cut-paste long sections of cels like 120+ frames , and it’s just tedious trying to do it all with left-click-drag every time. Also after establishing 300+ cels , deciding I want to change something and having to delete all those cells, same issue.

if there is a better way i’m all ears, I know my workflow isn’t close to perfect that is why i ask a lot of questions because sometimes i’ll get into bad habits in programs that cost me a lot of time that might be obvious to someone else (like a programmer)

1 Like

Has this been updated? Is there a way to do this now?

Hello, has a workaround been developed? I basically have an old animation with many frames and need to make the background continuous. If I copy the first frame to the last one and link the cells, all the cells in between remain empty unless I copy the same frame to each single empty frame.

1 Like

I don’t know of any work-around that has been developed… but I think this would be easy enough to script. I was just trying to think of another script to write so I think I’ll try my hand at this.

not so far, but what you can do is following:
create empty continous layer by using this script: Create New Continuous Layer - #4 by Olga_Galvanova
and copy and paste the image into that layer. note: copy the image - content of the cel - not the cel itself.

1 Like

Nice! I guess no script from me is needed. I’m going to have to copy that into my scripts folder

i shall only add: don’t use my attempt, but merge scripts made by behreandtjeremy and thkwznk instead

I found it, Select all the frames by clicking the frames and hold drag across the frames so you select all frames.

Right click, Link cels. Edit in that one frame, or Paste or anything you want.

Unlink if you want to edit individuals

1 Like